Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Prettiest Little Tree


While some people continue their Christmas festivities on Boxing Day, possibly in jammies relishing in the fact the family marathon is over, or braving the city streets to look for good deals - I like to vacuum behind the couch.

Every year I pull that beast out and give it a good vacuum, while cleaning up the big ol' mess that Christmas seemed to spew all over the house. Unfortunately, this year the biggest mess couldn't really be vacuumed, it was more in the air.

I do feel that I keep my expectations pretty low in the events department. We really try and not go overboard on all the "hoopla" that is Christmas.While I know some love the traditions beforehand - the special cookies, an outing to shop for siblings in town, or heading to the bush to find a tree - I go out of my way to not have any of that set on the calendar. It has made things so much simpler. I don't feel myself losing my ever loving mind if someone got sick cookie weekend, or I'm just plain too tired to have a hot chocolate party. Anything exciting we end up doing is just a bonus.

This year we happened to be out in the bush, and since my decorating for the season is a bare minimum, it was on a whim I told the girls they could find a wee tree to put in their room. With the silence that the snow covered forestry can only offer, we trekked out not far from the cabin and chopped down a tree the size of my five year old. It all seemed rather magical and I knew it would be fun for the girls to make their own paper chains and any other doo-dads they wanted to put on the tree.

The magic ended when their daddy hauled the tree upstairs and plopped it in the old galvanized bucket full of rocks.

"What is that smell?"

"Did something pee on that tree? Was it a bear? Did a bear pee on that tree?"

"Don't use potty talk!"

"Why does our room stink? The whole upstairs reeks! I didn't know Christmas trees stink. Do you think the one at Auntie's stink?"

Unfortunately that tiny bit of green had travelled home in the trailer that had hauled calves two days prior. It laid in there over night and soaked up enough barnyard smell to be able to make you question those candles that say 'evergreen' scent on them. Is this what an evergreen smells like?

Note to self: Always clean out the trailer before hauling a little piece of Christmas cheer home in it. Tucking in the girls at night will become mighty trying if you don't.



22 comments:

Jaimi_C said...

Oh that's too funny. What a great idea to let the littles have their own tree in their room. One they can decorate to their hearts content, and rearrange daily. Fun! I hope you had a great Christmas.

Jaimi

Pom Pom said...

Oh no! A poopy tree! You poor thing! How lovely to venture out into the woods and find a child size tree, though. You are so smart to keep your distance from crazy December scheduling. You are a very good mama, Cheyenne! It's always so fun to connect with you❤️.

Shirley said...

We do minimal decorating here too- the most important thing other than the tree is my Nativity set. A wreath, the outdoor lights and that's it.
That is too funny about the little tree- bet they don't want one in their room next year.
Happy New Year!

Rach said...

I am laughing!!!! I have learned simple is best when it comes to Christmas.. There's no schedule for me either except of course the school party & family times.. If I'm in the mood to bake cookies I do. If not they don't get baked. Happy 2015!

Grandma K said...

oh how you made me laugh this Jan. 1 morning! I can only imagine…..

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

LOL.. so what did you do with the tree? Endure? Or take it down and out to scrub it.

I think your non-plan is a good plan, friend.

Happy, Healthy, Sane, joy filled 2015 to all!

Petie said...

Too funny...

I did the same thing this year with no expectations. Nothing on the calendar. Just woke up and decided what I was going to do that day. I like that way of living. I haven't blogged in a while because I've been traveling back and forth from Arizona and Nebraska where my husband has been working. I got to experience a little bit of the cold. Burrrrr...

Gumbo Lily said...

You are a wise, young mama who does not overplan things like holidays. I used to until I could not remain happy. Then, like you, all the good things that did happen to come, were bonus.

Poor children to have a cow-poop tree. They'll never forget it, nonetheless!

Happy New Year to your crew!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

oh my!that is too bad! Happy New year

Crystal said...

Haha I can totally see how that could happen. poor girls, something super cool and it turns out smelly, I am laughing here

Vicky said...

Hehe- I can only imagine the "stench," that doesn't easily disappear either! Talk about making Christmas memorable! We're the same way when it comes to choosing how to "celebrate," the season. It becomes a spontaneous occasion when we all decide to decorate, or bake, or what have you- and it just feels right.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Cheyenne, I hope that 2k15 is a great year for all of you. Funny story about the tree !~! I miss the snow sights but not the hassle of driving in it or trying to go anywhere; I never learned to drive in snow.

Annie said...

Oh my word...I thought that kind of thing only happened to me! :) So funny! More funny that is was you & not me :) Sounds like we are on the same plan...spur of the moment...I'm not a planner with activities either...it sure does keep the season relaxing!

Annie said...

Opps I am in annie's account...That was Libbie :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I've missed blogging!!! This post made me laugh, and look forward to catching up!

Rachel said...

Hello, dear far away neighbor!

I've been making my rounds on fav blogs I once read steadily, seems everyone has fallen off the blog wagon.

Things change, sadly. Although change can be good.

My notsonew blog is www.tidbitsfromranchinmama.wordpress.com
I moved there in hopes of being done with google. I haven't kept up with it this year though.

Hope things are well on your prairie! Much love and hugs from Texas!!
~Rachel

cavs said...

That was a good read. was laughing all alone at work. You have been quiet had come back for more of your posts.

Rachel said...

Hey lady!! I am wondering how things are up your way?!

Pom Pom said...

Come back! Come back! I miss you!

Psych Nairo said...

I love your writing style- very funny! Thanks for an apt description, i feel like i have visited your place via your blog!

steve said...

If my daughter was reading this, she would be envious. So I will go ahead and get her a tree in her room...
Amazing story!!!

Munyole said...

A lovely adventure story. I like the snow capped trees

test
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...