Friday, December 16, 2016

Our Prairie

I came into the world on the icy winter wind. A prairie blizzard - one you can't know unless you have lived here.

I was prairie raised and think some of my strength isn't me.

It comes from those prairie roots that are all knotted up with my own tangled faith. A faith that is bolstered by the streaks of colour across the big sky on the bleakest winter days.

Strength comes from the special bond that ties families who live on these plains - our lives ebb and flow together to create a larger family.

That my own mother and father who have this soil on their hands, the chinook wind howling through their hair and love of the land in their heart raised me. I will raise my own here and they will know that this is our prairie.

Harsh climates grow deep roots.




11 comments:

LindaG said...

Merry Christmas to you all; and a safe, Blessed New Year!

Pom Pom said...

I've missed you, good writer! I'm delighted to see you back! God be with you, good girl.

Gumbo Lily said...

Cheyenne! I'm so happy to see you back writing to us. I love the words you have about the prairie. I understand. I wasn't raised on the prairie, but from married at 19 to today, I guess you could say I was "raised on the prairie." I feel the roots growing under me.

It's cold and snowy and blowy here in Montana. You too?
Sending Christmas love to you! ~Jody

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Cheyenne it is incredibly good to hear from you. May each step we take lead the way to Peace. Happy holidays to you and yours. May 2017 have some good times to remember. Thought of you often during these last many months; very glad to see you are still going strong.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, again.
martyterry@ymail.com

Down On The Farm said...

It is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD to read a post from you. I have missed you my friend. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Looking forward to some catch up posts from you. Blessings from Missouri!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Merry Christmas! I agree, sometimes the strength we have is born to us from family and heritage, and hardship

Crystal said...

Good to hear from you! And yes Prairie was born in me too even if it was originally the city. Merry Christmas!

Libbie said...

Cheyenne-
This is just so beautiful! You have such a poetic heart. I'm gonna go read it again. I can't imagine how big your babes are now :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lady!!
Was so great to see a post from you! I'm trying to get back in the blogging world! Ive missed it so!

puttermuch said...

Beautiful words....oh the beauty of the prairie.

test
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...